Hmmm... Choxbox tagged me with this post on a few things that are close to my heart- material things, that is...
Spent a couple of days thinking on this post. Sentimental me had quite a lot of things that I have hoarded over the years, for their emotional value. But finally, narrowed down on a few things in chez moi that are treasured- some handed down, some that have travelled with me over a few years, some that have just come visiting recently.
1. An old, old, old copy of Fitzgerald's Omar Khaiyyam in translation. Its a red hardbound copy, with pictures of the Sultan and his ladylove drinking their wine, and when I was a child, I loved this book for the unique pictures. Now I treasure this treasure for its verses,(one on each page) for its antiquity and the most of all for the fact that it was my Dad's.
I also have a tattered book of Sonnets from the Portugese, again with those lovely pictures and those LOVELY verses, again my Dad's.
My Dad was quite a romantic, wasn't he? :-)
2. I have saved quite a few of the chits my husband (then best friend) and I used to pass in class during boring lectures. These were then kept as a memento of the good ol' fun days at University. Among those chits, I also have the first ever 'I love you' chit he wrote to me (when that particular sentiment started colouring our friendship). This was after we'd finished our course, but we hadn't yet faced up to the fact that maybe we were missing each other so much because we were more than just friends?
The wonderful fellow left it for me on my chair in class, and one of the juniors found it (!!) and came and gave it to me in the hostel!!!!
I also have all the cards and letters we sent each other- mine as well as his, as well as all the gifts he gave me.
3. I have all the diaries I started and left unfinished. Some of them make me laugh at the girl I was, and at the things that mattered to me. And it makes me so wish I had been more regular, those memories are quite priceless and sometimes when I discuss them with my family we have such a lovely time going over those old days and laughing.
4. Silly, but I have kept the first certificate I won for short story writing. I won it when I was in the 5th std, I think. I treasure it for it was one of the first acknowledgements I got for something I love- writing.
5. I have kept a few of Sonny boy's first clothes when he was a baby. Seeing them brings nostalgic memories of how very small he was... and wonder at how much he's grown... is growing..
Choxbox, thank you for this tag, I loved mentally going thru the knick knacks in my home, it brought back so many memories.
In my turn, I tag, WIN, ~Nm, and Abha.
2 days ago